A Y-shaped peeler is one of the best types of peelers you can use to peel potatoes and other fruits and vegetables easily. It has a blade that is perpendicular to its handle, making it look like a safety razor. It is actually used with a similar action to a razor, peeling off skin in strips parallel to the handle. Most Y-shaped peelers also have an eye gouger beside the blade, which is used to dig out eyes and blemished from a potato and other vegetables. Y-shaped peelers have a wider handle, enabling users a more secure grip to make peeling easier and more comfortable.
Best Uses of Y-Shaped Peelers
Y-shaped peelers are popularly used for peeling potatoes. But aside from potatoes, there are functional kitchen tools for other fruits and vegetables. Here are some of the best uses of Y-shaped peelers.
- Can Help Peel Boring Vegetables Faster: Y-shaped peelers have c-shaped blades that can skillfully maneuver around the edges of curved produce like apples and pears. This makes the peeling of any fruit and vegetable quicker. Aside from that, it can also remove peels in amazingly thin pieces, preventing food from getting wasted.
- Can De–String Celery: De-stringing celery is one of the most daunting tasks when eating it. But a Y-shaped peeler can help you do this task easier and faster. When you pull the peeler along the outside of the celery, it will indeed remove the pesky strings, making you enjoy your celery more.
- Can Help Make Zest for Cocktails: Y-shaped peelers can also help in making citrus zest, which is an important ingredient to many cocktails. To be able to get a good bit of zest, you need to take as little pith with it as possible, and this can be accomplished well by using a Y-shaped peeler.
- Can Build Piles of Chocolate Shavings: If you want to make chocolate shavings, a Y-shaped peeler can help you make the perfect pile. You can use the shavings as toppings of ice creams or eat them directly off the cutting board.
- Can Help Soften Butter: If you are cooking, but you forgot to set the butter out for it to come to room temperature, then a Y-shaped peeler can help you soften it out. You can simply shave the cold butter into ribbons using the peeler to reduce the time it takes to become soft.
The Best Y-Shaped Peelers
If you are looking for the perfect Y-shaped peeler to add to your useful kitchen accessories, here are some of the best ones we found that you might like.
This Y-shaped peeler by OXO features a straight, all-purpose blade that is perfect for any peeling task. It is compact, comfortable, and easy to maneuver. It also works great with every grip because of its non-slip ergonomic handle. This peeler has a sharp, durable, Japanese stainless steel blades that will not rust. Aside from that, it also has a built-in potato eye gouger on both sides to cater to both right-handed and left-handed people. It is also dishwasher safe for easier cleaning.
This Y-shaped peeler features a horizontal blade that can peel smooth-skinned fruits and vegetables easily and quickly. The blade is also serrated so that it will bite to smooth and fuzzy skins and peel them off in thin strips. It has a plastic handle that is ergonomically designed for easy grip. It has a hole on the handle for easy hanging storage. This Y-shaped peeler is dishwasher safe, too.
This Y-shaped peeler is made of high-quality stainless steel and zinc alloy. It is durable and will not rust over time. It is an advanced fruit and vegetable peeler that is perfect to use on apples, pears, potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and more. It also has a built-in potato-eye remover.
This peeler has a sharp and wide swivel blade that can maintain minimal resistance when peeling. It also has the perfect fit for any fruit or vegetables, preventing the peels from clogging. This peeler has a non-slip handle to allow you to stably control the peeler and peel fruits and vegetables efficiently. It is comfortable for both left and right hand.
If peeling tomatoes is hard work for you in the kitchen, then by using this Y-peeler from OXO, that task will be much easier. This peeler is gentle on soft produce like tomatoes, kiwi, and peaches, making the most delicate tasks more laid-back. It is an iconic peeler that has a compact design and easy-to-maneuver shape. It features sharp, Japanese stainless steel blades that will not rust. It also has a non-slip handle that will keep you going until you finish all the peeling tasks. It is also dishwasher safe for easier cleaning.
The handle of this Y-shaped peeler is made of high-quality zine alloy, while its blade is made of stainless steel that is durable. It will not break, bend, rust, or stain when used. It is a versatile peeler for peeling fruits and vegetables. It is very ideal to use for potatoes, carrots, apples, cucumbers, pears, and more. It also has a potato-eye remover beside the blade. Its handle features an anti-slip rubber with ABS coating for more comfortable use. It is also easy to clean and is dishwasher safe, as well.
This Y-shaped peeler is made of high-quality and durable materials, ensuring that it will not bend, break, rust, or stain when used. You can use this peeler to peel different fruits and vegetables effortlessly. It also has a potato-eye remover beside the blade that you can also use to remove damage from other fruits and vegetables. Its hand is made of zinc alloy, and the blade is stainless steel, which is both easy to clean. You can also place it in a dishwasher for more convenient cleaning.
This Y-shaped peeler features an ultra-sharp stainless steel blade that can easily peel apples, carrots, potatoes, and many other fruits and vegetables. This peeler never rusts, and it can cut through the skin of any fruit and vegetable quickly and with precision. It has a compact size and is made of high-quality materials. It also has an ergonomic design and can work well for both left-handed and right-handed people.
This Y-shaped peeler features a potato-eye remover beside the blade. The handle of this peeler is larger compared to other peelers, and it has a non-slip surface. It is easy to grip and very comfortable to use. You’ll be able to peel vegetables with this peeler without experiencing hand cramps.
These are the best Y-shaped peelers we can recommend. The Y-peeler is indeed a very useful kitchen tool, not just for peeling potatoes, but for doing other kitchen tasks as well. We hope this list will help you find the best Y-shaped peeler that will cater to your needs.