A jar opener is a kitchen device that is used to open tightly closed glass jars. Jars can be opened by hand but there are times that they are firmly sealed, that’s why it’s convenient to use a jar opener. Today, there is a wide range of products designed to make the opening of jars easier. Jar openers are available in an array of designs and materials from the basic rubber jar opener to electrically-powered ones.
Benefits of Jar Openers
We have different lid opening techniques but some find jar openers to be the most helpful when it comes to opening jar lids. Here are some of the benefits of using a jar opener.
- Portable and Handy: Jar openers are mostly compact and lightweight. You can take it with you and use is anywhere you want. It can also save you on kitchen storage space
- Opens Clean and Easy: Using a jar opener will save you from making a mess. It is quick and easy to work with even with stubborn lids.
- Safer: Using a jar opener will ensure you less risk of injuries. Even small kids will be able to use them safely.
Types of Jar Openers
- Manual Jar Openers: The basic principle of all jar openers is to break the jar’s vacuum seal easier. One manual jar opener design has a V shape gripping handle which fans outward. It uses an elementary leverage technique to increase the force of the grip on the lid, making it much stronger than a bare hand alone. It also makes the lid easier to turn. Another design of a manual jar opener has a straight handle with an open end that fits on a jar’s lid. Once you pull it back, the vacuum seal will be broken. It is the simplest design which resembles a rubber cup or disc with a grooved inner surface. When the lid is gripped, the friction around it increases so that is easily dislodged. Manual jar openers are great in opening stubborn lids, but if you’re in a situation where you have to open jars on a constant basis, like commercial enterprises, you might find the electric jar opener more convenient.
- Electric Jar Openers: You can get enhanced safety and ease of use with an electric jar opener. Using one will take away all the effort needed to pry open a jar lid. The only downside of electric jar openers is that they tend to be a little bulkier and pricier compared to manual ones. The sizes of electric jar openers vary from counter top (small to mid-size), handheld (small), under-the-cabinet (mid-size), to large industrial openers. These sizes are designed for home use except for the industrial electric jar openers which are for heavy commercial settings.
Factors to Consider when Purchasing a Jar Opener
If you’re looking into purchasing your own jar opener, here are some things that you might want to consider to be able to choose the best one.
- Reasonable Size: An electric opener should have a sufficient height to accommodate jars of all sizes. If you want a manual jar opener, it should be compact enough to fit on your kitchen counter or drawer. If you’re short for a drawer or a counter space, you can also choose a wall-mounted jar opener.
- Comfortable and Durable: When it comes to manual jar openers, it’s better to choose one that is built to last like stainless steel which is resistant to rust. It should also have a handle with non-slip hold for comfortable use.
- Portability: If you’re planning to use a jar opener while on the move, choose one that is compact and lightweight like manual jar openers.
- Easy to Clean: There’s a tendency for jar openers to come in contact with food that’s why you need to choose one that can be cleaned easily.
- Budget: It’s also important to consider how much you are willing to pay for a jar opener. When it comes to electric jar openers, you can spend at least $25 for a good one. If you’re on a budget, you can go for manual jar openers which will cost you as low as $10.
Best Jar Openers
To help you out in choosing a jar opener, here are a few of the best ones we’ve found which you may like.
Progressive Multi Opener: This jar opener is durable and it has a comfortable grip. Aside from opening jars, it can also be used to open bottle caps, safety seals, and pull tabs.
OXO Good Grips Jar Opener with Base Pad: This manual jar opener comes with a base pad which helps keep the jar in place. It reduces the force you need to apply to open the jar.
Kichwit Arthritis Jar Opener: This jar opener is best for those who suffer from arthritis because they will no longer have to struggle to open jar lids. The steel teeth on the opener’s clamp can grab the lid tightly and you can easily open the jar with a simple twist.
Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener: If you want an electric jar opener, try the Hamilton Beach Open Ease opener. It’s best in opening a jar’s lid that is very stuck with just one press of a single button.
Jar openers are indeed helpful when it comes to opening jars with tightly sealed lids. When you have your own jar opener, you no longer have to worry about how much strength and effort you need to exert to be able to open a jar lid.